Generally speaking, adultery refers to sexual sin committed by a married person and fornication covers all other sexual sins. However, the terms adultery and fornication are often used interchangeably in the Word of God. Sinners will seek immorality before immortality. Immorality ignores God’s moral authority. God still calls sin sin. He is not concerned with 21st century “political correctness.”
Worldlings may have experienced recreational sex, but only the Christian married couple can experience spiritual sex. Hebrews 13:4 says, “Marriage is honorable in all, and the bed undefiled.” The sex organs create life. Therefore they are sacred and the act of marriage is sacred.
Here are a few reasons why couples should strictly avoid premarital or extramarital sex:
1. It is stealing from the present and the future.
2. It is lying to your spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend, yourself and God. (I Thessalonians 4:3)
3. It unites you with a harlot. (I Corinthians 6:16)
4. It creates responsibility.
Are you ready to care for him or her afterwards?
Are you ready to care for a child?
Are you ready to sear/pervert your conscience?
Are you ready to deal with the effects on future marital or current marital situation?
5. It is not love.
6. It is selfish.
7. It is not proof of love, happiness or compatibility.
8. Because marriage is not based on sex.
9. You don’t want to get venereal disease or AIDS.
10. Most importantly, it is sin. (I Corinthians 6:18 and Proverbs 2 and 6)
God has given us all the right reasons to stay holy and pure.